Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MacDuffOffline
Post subject: Running Wires in the Cabin  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2017 - 08:55 PM

Boat Summary: Took ownership of Pearl Hull #18(formerly City Girl II) June 2016. Newington, NH
Has anybody had success running wires from the cabin ceiling over to the pipe next to the helm and down to the instrument panel? I have a flybridge model with the exposed pipe under the flybridge helm. Is there a hole in that pipe with access to to the ceiling as well? Trying to put a remote VHF speaker on the ceiling with the wires running down to the VHF to the right of the helm.
Wish we could give this site more posts. I've found the old ones very helpful.

Reply with quote Back to top
SeahorseOffline
Post subject: RE: Running Wires in the Cabin  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2017 - 12:50 PM

MacDuff, On my 1987 FB the pipe going from the lower helm to the FB is PVC. If you remove the round teak collar at the top, you may have a hole in the pipe where the wires to the wiper motors exit the pipe. On my boat, this is also where cable for radar came through. You can fish wires through the ceiling. I removed & replaced my headliner so I am familiar with the way ceiling is designed. Wish I could post pics, (worth 1000 words). The headliner material is glued to plywood sheets. Those sheets are screwed into 1x3" wood stringers. The wood stringers are screwdriver into 1x3" blocks that are epoxied to the underside of the roof. You can fish wires through that 1" gap. If you want to try taking a panel down the screws for the panels are under the teak trim that runs across the ceiling. You would also have to take down the side trim pieces.

If you are mounting the speaker on STBD side ceiling, an alternative would be to just remove STBD teak trim piece and hide speaker wire behind it. Run it up to that opening in front of tube under round teak trim piece.

MacDuffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2017 - 01:54 PM

Boat Summary: Took ownership of Pearl Hull #18(formerly City Girl II) June 2016. Newington, NH
Seahorse,
Thank you! Just what I was looking for. I hadn't thought about the top collar removal. That should do it.

MacDuff

Jump to: