Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CrazinskiOffline
Post subject: Rudder removal  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2018 - 08:58 PM

I've started the process of removing the shaft, but I'm unclear on how to remove the rudder (or shift it over enough to allow the shaft to slide out). I've removed the steering connection and packing nuts. Do I need to completely remove the stuffing box which is thru-bolted to the hull?

Reply with quote Back to top
CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject: RE: Rudder removal  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2018 - 10:00 PM

Boat Summary: "Elephant Shoes" #157. Moored in Huntington Harbor, LI NY. Repowered with 4cyl Yanmar diesel-240HP
There is a flange on the top of the keel that supports the bottom of the rudder. The flange is thru bolted to the keel. Remove the three nuts on the bottom of the keel, and you should be able to pull the bolds out the top of the flange.

Inside the hull, remove the hydraulic steering piston, then remove the bronze arm that is attached to the rudder shaft, and then remover the packing nut.

With the bolts out of the flange, the flange should now slide off to the side of the keel at which time the rudder should be supported so it is kept at the same height. The shaft should now slide out.

When you reassemble the rudder it may be a good time to repack the stuffing box on the rudder shaft.

Good Luck

CrazinskiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2018 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Bob. I did all those steps but also needed to unbolt the stuffing box and break the adhesive sealant that held it down (tough job). Otherwise the rudder would not shift over enough. Anyway the shaft is out and being checked for straightness. Will definitely repack the rudder and prop shaft stuffing boxes. Maybe change the cutlass bearing.

Jump to: